MGMT 237M - Special Topics in Financial Engineering: Securitization
Lecture: Lec 2
Class ID: 660213201
Class Website: N/A
Open: 13 of 46 Left
Gold Hall Room B301
Final Exam Information
December 11, 2012
Gold Hall B301
Lecture, three hours. Limited to Master of Financial Engineering Program students. In-depth examination of problems or issues in one area of current concern in financial engineering. May be repeated for credit. S/U or letter grading.
Extension of study of fixed income securities to advanced topics on mortgages, mortgage-backed securities, and other asset-backed securities. Securitization is an important innovation in U.S. and global capital markets. It allows highly illiquid securities such as mortgages, automobile loan and credit card receivables, and leases to be transformed into more liquid financial instruments. Securitization also allows intermediaries to segment the risk and term structure characteristics of the underlying assets into a wide variety of alternative structures, thus expanding the domain of suitable investors. Application of the latest economics and finance tools to provide detailed understanding of markets for securitized assets. Exploration of basic mechanics of structuring deals for various asset-backed securities. Consideration of risk management techniques used in pooling and slicing (tranching) phases of securitization. Consideration of numerous problems which arise in pricing pooled assets.
General Education (GE)
This class does not satisfy any GE requirements.
This class does not satisfy any College/School diversity requirement.
- A per-unit Instructional Enhancement Fee is assessed on most undergraduate nontutorial classes. See the Miscellaneous Fee Chart at http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/fees/ for fee amounts.
- Management 108 through 127B are limited to Business Economics and Mathematics/Applied Science majors and Accounting minors during the first enrollment pass. Any junior/senior may enroll on the second pass.
- Management 200 through 299 (excluding 237), 406, 407, 413A, and 413B may be available to UCLA GRADUATE STUDENTS who meet the requisites for the class, space permitting.
- Interested students should go to the FIRST CLASS MEETING for instructions and PTE numbers.
- Management 237A thru 237N are limited to Master of Financial Engineering (M.F.E.) Program students.
- Management 402, 403, 405, 408, 409, 410, 411A, 411B, 420, and 430 are limited to M.B.A. and Fully Employed M.B.A. Program students.
Materials Use Fee